Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Benjamine Franklin.

At the signing of the Declaration Of Independance, Benjamine Franklin replied to a comment made by John Hancock.

"Yes, we must indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang seperately!"

He declared himself as a Deist in his 1771 autobiography, although he still considered himself a Christian considering Christianity to be beneficial to goodness and morality.

He established 'daily prayer' for 'Divine Protection', declaring...
"And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?"

In a letter to Ezra Stiles, president of Yale University...
"As to Jesus Of Nazareth, my opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the system of morals and his religion, as he left them to us, the best the world ever saw or is likely to see; but I apprehend it has received various corrupt changes, and I have, with most of the present 'Dissenters In England' some doubts as to his divinity, tho it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and I think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an opportunity of knowing the truth with less trouble."
Spoken about a month before he died at the age of 84.

No comments:

Post a Comment